I know this is going to shake a few trees with this month’s Power of Ten. First let me say these were some of the best lists submitted as of yet. I had to literally spend the last two weeks on who I wanted to pick. Then a new contender entered the ring and she came out swinging. Maybe that is how the crowd felt when they saw Babe Ruth point to the left field bleachers and hit one out of the park the first time. Fifi gets two points for her efforts, but then again not surprising when she dates UCB all star Mauriello. All the lists I got this month were gold so if you did not get the win maybe tweak it a little more for next month.
1. Your Hair: I assume she is talking about my hair since it is my blog and not just hair in general. I have a vain obsession with my hair. I should have been bald already, that did not happen. I rocked long hair from when I was 14 all the way until now (well I guess my hair is still longer for most guys, but it seems short to me). I have always pride myself on the up keep of my own hair. Hair on your head does nothing for warmth or very little from what I have read. It was given to us to enhance each and every person’s individuality. As a result I have always had the utmost respect for hair stylists, artists in their own right. I tend to be a heavy tipper in general but let me tell everyone your hair dresser is not one to stiff. I leave mine 30%. Despite my hairs straw like texture I would not trade it for anything in the world.
2. Girls You Think Are “The One” Then End Up Being Lame: This could be an entire blog, shit it has been running around in my head for the last six months. I have been bitching about romance and my pain for some time now so I will spare everyone for the moment, although I am in the process of formulating a piece on love that may be one of my best works since “One Last Perfect Day” and “Bowing Out“. I love and truly believe in the whole concept of “The One” and that everyone is meant to meet their “One and Only” and when they do both parties male and female will know it. There will be none of that stupid game playing bullshit. For me I fall hard when I meet a woman that I find compatible, do everything in my power to keep them safe, happy and satiated. In the end they are never content and always want more leaving me alone and miserable. I would not call any of them lame though. They would not have hurt me so badly if they were lame. Things did not work out. I was not the man for any of them. All I think is that I hope they find all the happiness they are searching for and could not see in me.
3. People Who Don’t Dress Up When They Go Out: There was a time less then sixty years ago when peoples casual clothes were better then what we today call “dressed up”. I love to dress up and I love to flash even more. I have a closet full of threads and 13 pairs of shoes. Still I am never satisfied with my wardrobe. Dressing up is part of the fun of going out. Picking out what to wear then wondering what everyone else will wear. In today’s sad world I go out to the bar looking like class and more then half the crowd is is looking like trash. Sure I can understand it at a dive bar, but if you are at an en vogue spot beach attire is inappropriate. I wore a suit out the other night and was looking sharp. Some guy came up to me in a t-shirt, poor fitting cheap Kmart jeans and sneakers then proceeded to give me a hard time on what I was wearing. My roommate’s girl friend tried to tell me I look like I am trying to hard. Shoots I just want to look good. Ladies when you don a sexy but classy dress, designer heels and do yourself up all beautiful my outfit is then a complement to you. It blows my mind when I see a woman dressed to the nines with some guy in a white t-shirt and baseball cap at the club. What happened to class people?
4. The Texture of Cat’s Bellies: Cats stomachs are gnarly. They just sort of hang down all soft. My Grandmother would not pick up cats cause she claimed it felt like she could feel their insides. Plus when they eat too much their stomach expands to a strange little ball. Its odd for sure but fun to pet at the same time. My family’s cat Hercules is a conniving little bastard and will roll over on his back so that you can scratch his belly, but when you do he grabs your hand with his paws and bites. Cats are interesting creatures.
5. Girls Who Make You Pick Them Over Surfing: For me this does not happen. I tell women that I am with as soon as things start getting serious that surfing has been with me before them and will be with me after them. My whole life has revolved around surfing. With out it I am not complete. If you really surf and are not just one of those “I surf once a month or less” types you know what I am talking about. When I am not surfing or at work, my girlfriend when I have one always gets the rest of my time and these days if the surf is terrible she can have that time too. Ask me to choose and I am leaving with my board in hand.
6. Wine Under $5: I must first address the fact that Kooky Kyle had this on his Power of Ten as well. Normally that would make a list void, but I do not think Fifi saw Kooky’s list in the comments so I am allowing it and it is my blog thus I can do whatever I want. There are great wines in every price range, but it is true the pricier the wine the better the quality if you know what you are looking for. I personal at the moment cant spend more then $14 a bottle, that is because I drink about a case a week and am renovating the apartment. I have a few gems I enjoy under $5 before tax. The key is to look for sales. I have been buying this really good Chianti cause it has been marking down from $18 to $6. I am going to actually start a new edition to Recipe D’Jour where I will list wines I think are worth drinking cause it has come to my attention that most people are clueless when it comes to picking a nice wine and since I do go to a lot of tasting and such have a bit more exposure to the scene then your average bear.
7. Cooking for Children: I learned how to cook at very young age and as a result found a love for the kitchen. I think everyone should teach kids some basic cooking techniques at age ten. Maybe just simple things like how to boil water and cook some pasta, heat up a bit of sauce out of a jar. Give them a bit of understanding of the dangers of being careless around heat. As far as cooking meals for children I believe in comfort food, Hot dogs, chicken fingers/nuggets, ham burgers, pasta, peas and carrots, fish sticks, pizza etc. Then as their pallets begin to develop try to slip in other dishes that have similar characteristics. Chicken fingers can easily be made into chicken parmigiana, which is almost a combination off pizza and chicken fingers. I see too many parents try to force their kids to eat adult food too soon and then turn the kids off to certain flavors and even entire meat groups. It takes time for our pallets to develop. I hated veal as a kid and now I find it quite the scrumptious culinary treat.
8. Towels Out of the Dryer: I was just thinking about this one the other day as I was pulling my beach towels out of the dryer. They are amazing. There is something about taking a towel out of dryer and sticking your face into it. It is sooo soft and warm. Sometimes I wrap my entire body in it right there in the laundry room. Back when I lived in the frat my neighbor walked in on me enjoying a freshly washed and dried towel right there in the garage. Our eyes met and she nodded at me in approval. What kind of monster would not like a freshly dried towel?
9. Girls That Look Shrimpy But End Up Having Amazing Bodies: For starters I think most women have amazing bodies. Everyone is shaped differently and have to play to their strengths. If a girl has an amazing body but is coming up short and looking featureless then she needs to rethink her wardrobe. I am not a stylist when it comes to women. I know what looks good and what does not. All I can say is my ex girl friend Adrienne was very good at dressing to her strengths being a more petite woman. Guys do it too. I am a bit skinny for a man so I built a wardrobe that plays to my strengths.
10. Why the “Power of Ten” is so successful: Fifi is rather new to the Lisanti sphere of influence and so are many of my new Word Press readers. Back in the Myspace days I used to regularly write these types of blogs where I would just rant or project my insanity on multiple topics. Also it ups the ante on the UCB contest and challenges me to be short winded on a plethora of topics. Initially when I wrote the first one “Your a Fucking Idiot But So Am I” it was because everyone was dumping UCB topics on me in massive lists. I wrote this blog to prove that quality is better then quantity. Unfortunately in America where the opposite is embraced the blog back fired and became an instant hit. I have always been a believer in giving the public what they like.